Monday, December 17, 2012

Committing myself to nonviolence

The massacre in Connecticut has left me filled with a mix of three emotions: sadness, disgust and rage.
Its' OK to feel sadness for the victims and disgust for the action, but it is never good to harbor rage.
So I have decided I will try to spend time thinking about empathy and patience.
I would like to Michael to grow with a father who showed him how to live a nonviolent existence.
Now that doesn't mean I don't look forward to watching movies like "Star Wars," "The Lord of the Rings" or "Harry Potter" series.
Tales in which right overcomes wrong sometimes includes a violent clash. But I don't want him to watch movies where people are violent for the sake of glory, power or bloodlust.
To commit myself to a more nonviolent lifestyle, I am going to try to fill this space every day until Dec. 31, 2013 with at least one quote about nonviolence, it's virtues and its challenges.


No comments:

Post a Comment