Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Game 25 Wrap up - An honest-to-Gawd slugfest

Ask and ye shall receive. Well, not at Bill Bateman's Bistro Wednesday night. The Phillies had a chance to go above .500 for the first time since Opening Day.
Roy Halladay was on the hill and we were headed to Bateman's for our regular trivia outing. We brought Michael with us.
 He and I desperately wanted to see the game.
We walk in and what do we find? The Cubs-Reds game. The Nationals-Houston game? The Orioles-Yankees game? But no Phillies game.

With cell phone access a no-no (We wouldn't want to be accused of cheating), not having the game on the TV was terrible. Our good friend Jordan came in to tell us it was 4-2 Phillies. Four runs with Roy on the hill. Game. Set. Match.
 Jordan checked the score during intermission: 6-2, Phils, but the bases were loaded. "Brian McCann is coming to the plate," Jordan said.
"Grand Slam," I replied.
Not two seconds past when Jordan looked up at me and said, "Guess what? Grand Slam."
A couple of questions later, we saw the 8-6 score on the screen and figured the game was over.
By the time trivia was over, the Phils were up in the midst of a 15-13 slobber knocker. 
They came out on the wrong end of it thanks to Chipper Jones.
I can't be sure, but I thought I heard Michael say something as I put him down to bed: "Chipper Jones can go to hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment