Friday, May 18, 2012

Wrap up games 33-39 and why I'm optimistic

Driving up to the house on Tuesday, I saw my father-in-law on the porch. He had been visiting since Sunday night, so I wasn't shocked to see him sitting there, working on his lap top.
What surprised me as I got out of the car was seeing Michael bouncing around in his jumparoo.
When he finally noticed me, he smiled. I love that smile. His dimples show up and his eyes seem to dance.
He even hopped a bit.
It was one of the happiest moments of my life.
It makes baseball seem so insignificant.

Yet I can't help but be excited about the Phillies.
After winning just 14 of their first 32 games, the boys from Philadelphia have caught fire. They've won six of their past seven, outscoring their opponents 37-19 and moving back above .500 for the first time since Opening Day.
Even Kyle Kendrick got into the action, tossing six strong innings against the Chicago Cubs.
Yet, I don't want to get too optimistic.
The wins came against the Cubs, Houston Astros and San Diego Padres - teams that are a combined 22 games under .500. Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and, now, Vance Worley are on the disabled list.
So the next four series, now that the Phillies have started playing better, are very important.
The Phightins will face the Boston Red Sox (17-20), Washington Nationals (23-14) and at the reigning champion St. Louis Cardinals (22-15) and New York Mets (20-17).
If the Phillies can play above .500 during that 13-game stretch, they're going to be in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment