Thursday, April 12, 2012

A somewhat serious interview with Michael's mom

Cole Hamels
I thought I was going to be able to get an interview with Steve Carlton before I got Mrs. A to join the blog.

But it just took five games for her to cave.
She discusses her love of left-hander Cole Hamels, the possibility of trading her first born to keep the ace in Philadelphia and why she's so attached to the little bugger. (The baby, not the pitcher.)
High Hopes: So, who do you like more? Cole Hamels or Baby Abdalla


Mommy Abdalla: (Laughs) Baby Abdalla
High Hopes: Are you sure?
Mommy Abdalla: Yes.
High Hopes: So you're telling me, at the end of this season, you're OK with Cole Hamels walking away from the Phillies?
Mommy Abdalla: What? No.
High Hopes: I'm confused. You wouldn't offer up your first born to keep Hamels in red pinstripes? He's a World Series MVP. You know that right?
Like Santa, Mommy Abdalla is always watching
Mommy Abdalla: No. And yes I know that (Cole was filthy sweet during the 2008 postseason run).
High Hopes: Would you trade your first born for any of the Phillies?
Mommy Abdalla: No. Is this a serious question?
High Hopes: Hey, I ask the questions here. This is hard-hitting journalism. No gotcha questions from the gallery. So, you think this kid is a keeper? What do you like best about him?
Mommy Abdalla: I don't know. I love him. I have to think. I like the way he looks at me. I like holding him. I just like being near him.
High Hopes: You say "like" a lot. Are you sure you don't have a close, personal relationship with Cole Hamels?
Mommy Abdalla: I wish.
High Hopes: I don't know how to take that. Let's move on. What do you think of the blog?
Mommy Abdalla: I think it's fun to watch. I think it's fun that you have all these videos. I like the background images. I like that it's about my son.
High Hopes: You're into the visuals. You can read, right?
Mommy Abdalla: Very funny. You asked why I liked your blog.  So.
High Hopes: Does the blog make you worry about privacy?
Mommy Abdalla: Yes.
High Hopes: You don't say much. Can you expand on why it concerns you?
Mommy Abdalla I don't like my son being ... He has a digital footprint as they say. I don't like him being in view of all these people. But then again everybody does that sort of thing nowadays, don't they?
High Hopes: Is there anything you like about him being on the internet?
Mommy Abdalla: I like that my family can see him. I like to watch him on there. I like that he can watch him grow. Seeing how much he changes. And I like that it shows you're thinking about him everyday. You're sharing this experience. I'm not sure any of this makes sense, honey. I'm tired. My brain is completely shut off.
These two love to read.
High Hopes: What's your biggest hope for your son?
Mommy Abdalla: My biggest hope for my son is that he will be happy with life.
High Hopes: Who is going to have a better year: Michael, Roy Halladay or Hunter Pence
Mommy Abdalla: I hope Michael. It's his first year of life?
High Hopes: Which player on the Phillies would you like Michael to emulate if he plays sports?
Mommy Abdalla Well, Jimmy Rollins is a team player and leader. Shane Victorino is supportive of everybody and he's excited, so he's a team player, too. One of those two, probably. Halladay is like a perfectionist kind of person and that's a good thing, sometimes. ... I guess Jimmy. I would have said Chooch (Carlos Ruiz) too because he works well with his pitchers.
High Hopes: Last question. Can Michael get a Phillies tattoo?
Mommy Abdalla: No. Absolutely not. But to be fair, he can't get any tattoos.
High Hopes: Thank you for being here. I know it was a lot of work. Very tough questions.

2 comments:

  1. You can compare Michael to ANY baseball, football, basketball player and he will still come out on top!!! Kisses and hugs to Mommy and son! Oh, and in the future people may get tattoos of Michael, his perfect body will stay just that "perfect".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if Michael spends time with his grandmother in NY and CHOOSES to become a Yankees fan? Can we have that discussion?

    ReplyDelete