Monday, June 18, 2012

One of the best days of my life

If you asked me what would make the perfect Father's Day, I'd need these ingredients: Michael, Molly, friends and family. Dogs and burgers on the grill would be nice. Dr Pepper would be fantastic. Adding a little Indiana Jones would be great. Oh, and a Phillies' win would be icing on the cake.
Well, thanks to the Phillies' loss to the Blue Jays, my first Father's Day as a dad didn't reach perfection.
But I'll take today over nearly every other one I've had (Exceptions include July 22, 2006 - our wedding day; Oct. 8, 2005 - Penn State's win over Ohio State with Molly by my side; Oct. 21, 2008 - Harry Kalas screaming, Brad Lidge kneeling, the Southpaw hopping up and down at Travis and Jill Lau's house.)
Molly had to work in the morning and early afternoon, so it was the Mike and Pat show early on. He had some mango and pear baby food - smiling the whole time - and played with his new toy. He was playing on the living room floor while I did some errands. When I came back into the room he made his little screech and reached for me. I walked over and hugged him. He squeezed me tightly and kissed me on the cheek. It was just a fantastically beautiful moment.
The Phillies game hadn't started yet, so we were flipping through the channels for some background noise when I came across "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Sure, it's not the best Indy flick, but it's better than 80 percent of the movies out there. Interestingly, Michael seemed into it. But Dad kept distracting him. Rolling the ball to him. Making animal sounds - which always get a laugh.
Eventually, we threw the 2007 season highlight reel in. Almost forgot what it was like to have the Phillies play exciting baseball.
Then the friends arrived. The grill was fired up. Then the Wiffleball started. It was a slow start - Michael was tired, so he cried during the first inning (Jess said he was angry over not being allowed to sing the Star Spangled Banner.)
When all was said and done, it really couldn't have been a better day.  (I'll pretend the Phils didn't play)

No comments:

Post a Comment