Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vacation With Michael Day 10: Road Trip

We spent Friday on the road, heading up to Waverly, N.Y., Molly's hometown.
The trip always takes longer than we expect.
Normally it takes us longer to leave.
While we got out a bit late this time, it wasn't hours late like normal.
This time, we were sidetracked by The Atomic Baby.
We stopped in Scranton - at my sister's - midway. Making a rest stop at any of my sisters' or my parents' is perfect. Clean bathrooms, clean place to change Michael, and a quick visit. We try to keep it under half an hour. That's about how long it would be if we stopped for dinner mid trip. And we usually eat during our break.
Well Michael went thermonuclear. He rarely does this, but something crawled up his three-month-old arse and we spent a good 20 minutes trying to calm him down.

We finally rolled into Molly's mom's house around 11:30.
Saturday couldn't have been better.
We hung out with her mom and visited the rest of that side of her family.
Then we had a legit date. While we've gone out since Michael's been born, this seemed different. I'm not sure why.
It was quite romantic. Chinese food then "The Iron Lady."
Yes, a Chinese buffet.
I didn't realize how good I had it growing up in Scranton. We seemingly had great Chinese buffets all over the place. I really took them for granted. Then I moved into my apartment in State College and, low and behold, more quality Chinese buffets.* Molly's hometown area also has a cornucopia of Chinese buffet selections. Same goes for Hanover.

* By quality, I mean, filling and thoroughly cooked food. Now that I think about it, it's not that I was lucky in Scranton, it's that York doesn't have a decent Chinese buffet in sight.

So we enjoyed some General Tso's, fried rice and orange chicken.
Then we moved on to the Cinema Saver in Binghamton. I can't tell you how awesome the Cinema Saver was. Two movie tickets, a small popcorn, candy and two bottled waters cost us less than $17. You cannot beat that.
Sure, the screen was small. But who needs a giant screen for "The Iron Lady?"
Anyway, the trip made me realize I really was lucky growing up, having The Ritz nearby. It was a fantastic theater for a young boy to grow his love of the movies.



No comments:

Post a Comment