Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vacation With Michael Day 9: Under Pressure

<iframe width="350" height="267" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rY0WxgSXdEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
We've already established that I'm trying to get Michael to like the same music I do.
Well, we might have finally found common ground.
My son loves Queen.
The boy had barely responded to any of the other music I played, though he seems to enjoy when others sing Johnny Cash Songs.
Then came Freddie Mercury and the boys of Queen.
He's like his old man. I never would have called Queen my favorite band - that title has pretty much always belonged to U2 (since college) or the Creedence Clearwater Revival (about three of my four high school years).
But Queen has always sounded so different to me. Bit of opera, lot of rock, a sprinkling of the blues, a dash of Motown and a pinch of R & B.
My first recollection of Queen isn't "We Will Rock You," "We are the Champions" or "Bohemian Rhapsody." It's "Another One Bites the Dust."
I remember being at a Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons game when I was growing up and music played after a Red Baron struck out. My brothers-in-law Tom and Gene were with me. They laughed at the music.
I asked them why. They told me it was the song "Another One Bites the Dust."

So I still associate that song with warm summer nights shared between an 11-year-old and the older brothers he looked up to.
I know a lot of people complain that there is too much going on at stadiums. They don't want all the music, video highlights, hot dog races and such.
I get that. It's why I love Wrigley Field. There's something to be said for the entertainment value of the game itself.
Yet baseball is always about more than the strikes, balls and sac flies. It's about sharing moments with the guy - or gal - sitting next to you.
So when a big brother tells his younger brother about music, that's also an enjoyable aspect of being at the stadium.
I can't help but look forward to a day when I can point out "We Are The Champions" to Michael. Hopefully it's because the Phils have won another World Series.
Until then, I'll settle for the way he smiled when Mercury hits the high notes on "Somebody to Love."



No comments:

Post a Comment