Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vacation with Michael Day 8: Talking with grandma


We've got a pretty good routine going. Michael and I get up around 8 or 9 every morning. We have breakfast, watch a little "Law and Order" or a documentary from Netflix.
Sometime later, I call my mom and put it on speaker phone. My parents haven't gotten to see Michael often. They're getting on in years and don't like to travel. At least that's what they say about visiting four of their five children. Cough, cough.
 So these conversations have meant a lot. I put the phone on speaker and my mother will say, "Baby" and Michael will make some noises. Part of me wants to buy my parents an iPad so they can Facetime or skype with him. The rest of me, however, knows they won't download skype or use the iPhone so it wouldn't be worth it. Then the rest of me remembers I'm a journalist. So I don't make enough to buy my parents an iPad.
Soundtrack for Day 8: Paul Simon's Graceland

No comments:

Post a Comment