Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vacation Day 1: Billy Joel and the diaper dandy

For the first time since college, I have two weeks off. I'm going to spend this time with Michael. I've been looking forward to this since before he was born. It's pretty much just going to be the two us on weekdays.
His mom is going back to work and when my vacation comes to an end, he's going to be heading off to daycare.
Molly is pretty torn up. She's been at his side for the entirety of the first three months of life.
Michael, of course, didn't miss a beat.
It makes you realize how adaptable babies are.
Things went pretty well for the first day.
Michael spent much of the day listening to dad's collection of Billy Joel albums. He didn't complain; but he didn't really have a choice.
Again, it just goes to show how adaptable babies are.
Dads, on the other hand, are not as adaptable.

I've probably changed 100 or so diapers by now. (Yes, Molly might argue that number.)
Until today, I had pretty much avoided any catastrophes.
I've been pretty good about getting things changed quickly, avoiding a sprinkle or too many messes.
Well today, as I was changing Michael, I dropped the "fresh" diaper.
The "dirty" had just been used so I thought I was safe for three seconds.
I bent over, picked up the diaper and heard a noise. I looked up.
My face was, for lack of a better term, in Michael's sights.
I had gone 30 years without ever seeing a human drop a duece. Nearly 31 years.
The good news: Nothing hit my face. The bad news: It went everywhere else.
All over the changing table. All over his clothes.
So Michael did what he should have done. Laughed at Daddy, whose face was scrunched up, who was yelling, "That's so gross." Michael just squawked out his little chirp-like laughter.
Again, babies are adaptable.
Dad panicked.
Should I wipe? Should I take away the dirty clothes? Should I pick him up and take him to the bathtub?
I decided not to take him to the bathtub because I figured he was just as likely to drop some stains on the carpet.
I decided to wipe Mike clean and take the diaper away. I put him back down on this cute little duck thing that wraps around him after you bathe him. I must have left it on the changing table last night.
Mom, Dad and Mike love the duck thing.
The duck thing is not adaptable. At all.
Michael went a third time, destroying the duck thing.
I couldn't help but laugh.
Oh, in case you're wondering, "My Life" was playing in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment